You may be so engulfed in the interior design of your home that you don’t focus on how to install stucco for improving the exterior. Stucco is made of Portland sand, lime, cement, and water. It is an excellent finishing material that can help you to enhance the appearance of exterior walls.
Stucco contractors know that it is a fine and decorative material for aesthetic finishes. As compared to cement, stucco is mostly used for beautifying purposes rather than building a foundation. It is a paste that can be applied to different corners and angles, without disturbing the foundation.
Since the cement is hard and cannot hold in a vertical position, stucco repair is done for damages that are in the exterior surface of the house. If you have decided to stucco your exterior walls, you can hire a professional company for residential stucco in Oakville.
In this article, we have outlined how to install stucco without any professional help.
How to install stucco on your home’s exterior walls
Here’s a guided procedure to apply stucco on the exterior walls of your home –
1. First of all, you should know that you can apply new stucco over the old one. You don’t have to scratch it off and start from the beginning. You can also do stucco repair in places where there’s only minor paste is needed.
2. Mix the stucco thoroughly. Stucco contractors suggest that you have the right temperature. If it’s too hot, it will dry and fall. If it’s too cold, it will not be able to stick to the walls. The right time to apply it is on a cloudy day without much humidity.
3. A major step of learning how to install stucco is to know that it is applied in three layers. The first two are base layers and the third one if the actual layer that you will see. The two layers ensure that the third layer has a strong foundation.
4. Once the walls are ready after cleaning and concrete bonding, the next step to install residential stucco in Oakville is to install a 17-gauge metal mesh. It will hold the plaster in place and prevent it from falling.
5. After that, apply the first coat of the stucco. Let it dry for a couple of hours. Once it dries, scratch the surface with a sharp tool. It is used for holding the second layer in place. But before applying the second layer, water the first one and let it dry for a day or two.
6. Apply the second coat of stucco. Professional stucco contractors recommend that the next layer should half-inch thick. After that, allow it dry for a day before you move on to the finishing air.
7. The final step is to apply the final layer of the stucco using a trowel. It should be a quarter-inch thick, and you can then finally give it the desired pattern.
Installing stucco can be a challenging task. You need to take care of the details, and one hand here or there can ruin all your efforts. It is best to hire a professional who can install your residential stucco in Oakville.